CINNAMON CRINKLE COOKIES
CINNAMON CRINKLE COOKIES will be your next go to holiday cookie!
CINNAMON CRINKLE COOKIES
So when I told you guys that I don’t eat my own Christmas cookies a few posts ago…I lied!! There is one Christmas cookie that year after year after year I make….and year after year after year I eat them…. these are my Cinnamon Crinkle Cookies! I have been keeping a Christmas cookie journal since 2000 and these cinnamon sugar cookies have been on my cookie list every single year since then. The original recipe came from one of those soft backed recipe books that you see in the check out line of the grocery store. The recipe book was called “Extra Special Holiday Baking” and the Cinnamon Crinkle Cookie recipe was located on page thirty-four (according to my Christmas cookie journal). Since then I cannot locate this recipe book, but I keep my own hand written version of it inside my cookie book.
How do I explain these fabulous Cinnamon Crinkle Cookies….they are like a sugar cookie that crashed into a jar of cinnamon and then ran through a car wash of red & green sprinkles! My secret is to “underbake” them a bit. This gives the cookies a softness which in turn just melt in your mouth. My kids love to dunk them in a glass of milk just so that they can see the white milk turn the colors of Christmas! I prefer to put my kids to bed, sit by the lights of the Christmas tree and the glow of the fire with my husband eating these cookies with a cup of hot tea. These are the special moments that remind me what the season is truly all about! No matter what you dunk them in or where you choose to eat these cookies….Cinnamon Crinkle Cookies will become a favorite in your home and make your Christmas cookie list every time!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- red & green sprinkles
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large bowl cream the sugar, butter and shortening together.
- Add in eggs one at a time mixing well between each.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, ground cinnamon & salt.
- Add flour mixture into the sugar/butter mixture. Beat together until mixed well.
- Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Roll balls into green and/or red sprinkles.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 8 minutes.
- * Remember not to overbake these cookies - if you "under bake" them slightly they will be heavenly!
- ** Makes about 2 dozen cookies