CRANBERRY ALMOND STREUSEL CAKE
CRANBERRY ALMOND STREUSEL CAKE…add a little gorgeous to your morning meal!
CRANBERRY ALMOND STREUSEL CAKE
My children’s grade school for the last three years has hosted a Winter Wonder Fest. The gym is filled with carnival games, Santa is in a chair waiting for pictures to be taken with him and vendors set up shop with home-made holiday goods for all to buy. It really is one of the best days of the year for the kids and families of our town. Although I enjoy every last bit of the holiday fest my most favorite is the “Mrs. Claus’s Bakery”. This my friends is where the bake sale takes place. Every year I look forward to not only letting my kids pick a special treat from the bake sale, but I love volunteering and making stuff for the bake sale. This year my first pick was this Cranberry Almond Streusel Cake. I found the recipe on www.sweetpaulmag.com and for once I actually did not change a thing! I usually make a recipe my own and change the ingredients or change the cooking time or add a little something. This time the ingredients were spot on? The freshness and bright color of the cranberries drew me in, the creaminess of the sour cream lured me even further, but the almond flavor and the inch thick streusel topping just did me in….put a fork in me I am done….sign, sealed and delivered! Have you ever been baking something and thought to yourself “this cake is Heaven”? Well I did as soon as I started mixin’ up the batter of this cake! After I popped the first one in the oven I decided I had to make a second one! The first one was going to be sold in a bake sale and it would be lost to be forever! A second one had to be made, frozen and eaten on Thanksgiving morning!
Fast forward to the day of the bake sale. My children are each given some money so that they can pick out a special goody. They are eyeing the cookies, brownies and cake pops…me, I am thinking to myself “would be it be so wrong if I bought my own cake”????? We walk away with cookies in hand and proceed to the carnival games for much fun to be had. Fast forward a couple hours to the close of the fest. I see the mom in charge of the bake sale packing things up. She tells me that she sold every last baked item on her tables! She then proceeds to let me in on a little secret….she in fact purchased my cake!!!!! Here is the kicker…she is a professional baker and owns her own company, The Party Kitchen (please visit her on FB). What a compliment huh?!?!!?
If you have a holiday party coming up, need an extra dessert or Thanksgiving or want to WOW your guests on Thanksgiving morning then this is the cake! Enjoy!!!!
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1 /2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour and baking powder.
- Butter a 9 inch round baking pan ( I line my pan with parchment paper on the bottom).
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Add vanilla extract, almond extract, sour cream and the flour mixture.
- Beat until combined.
- In a small bowl toss the cranberries with the sugar.
- Fold the cranberries into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into prepared cake tin.
- In a small bowl work together the sugar, flour and butter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle crumbles on top of the cake.
- Bake until golden brown, about 50-60 minutes and toothpick comes out clean when poked into the center.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.